- Optimizing HiFi
While you will hear the difference with TIDAL HiFI on most devices, you will want to optimize your setup to achieve bit-perfect playback and enjoy TIDAL HiFi to its fullest extent.
Below are the three steps to take to optimize for HiFi.
1. Change Your Settings To The Highest Sound Quality
First, you should adjust your settings to ensure you are streaming at the highest quality possible; Master Quality audio is the highest sound quality available.
You can click through the articles below to learn more about adjusting the Sound Quality settings on your TIDAL app.
Note that streaming higher quality audio on WiFi is preferable as it may lead to less disruptions in streaming.
2. Optimize Your DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter)
Second, use a DAC and optimize for that DAC.
A little background: in order to enjoy music as conveniently as we do today, we convert recordings from analog to digital. However, since sound waves are produced in analog form, the signal must first be converted back to analog before a speaker can play back music. This is done through a DAC or Digital-to-Analog Converter. The DAC changes a digital file back into an analog electrical signal with a constantly changing voltage that our speakers and our ears are able to process as sound.
Any device capable of audio playback contains a DAC; but, as with most technology, the quality of the DAC makes a difference in sound quality. High quality DACs are available in certain headphones, mobile devices, or as standalone units.
Once you have selected a DAC you should read through the selected product instructions to connect to your playback device. Then, once connected to the TIDAL client, you will want to adjust your streaming settings as follows:
- Click the icon in the top left corner
- Select ‘Settings’ then ‘Streaming’
- Change the ‘Sound Output’ to your DAC
- Click (More Settings)
- Toggle additional settings as they pertain to your setup.
3. Optimize Your Playback Device
Third, whether playing through a speaker or headphones, good gear makes a difference.
Not everyone prefers the same type of sound/playback, but high-quality hardware will best deliver the full experience of HiFi. TIDAL works with all speakers and headphones, and we have a wealth of great sound partners to help deliver the best listening experience.
You can browse our partners here: Supported Devices
You can also read about TIDAL Connect, our industry-leading technology to deliver in-app casting of high-quality music, here: TIDAL Connect
- Exclusive Mode only has an effect for HiFi and Master playback. This setting grants TIDAL exclusive use of the audio device eliminating interference. With this enabled, TIDAL has exclusive use of your DAC and will automatically change the frequency based on the song selection.
- Force Volume allows TIDAL to bypass its settings allowing the user to control the volume from their DAC or connected stereo device.
- Passthrough MQA disables software decoding of MQA. When this is selected TIDAL will leave the unfolding up to your connected DAC. This should only be selected if you have an MQA compatible DAC.